SW-L  October 2018

SW-L October 2018

Steve's Friday Update 8 of 17

Stephen Slevinski <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Oct 2018 13:26:23 -0500

Hi SignWritig List,

Three topics this week: the SignTyp linguistic coding system, the
Brazilian Sign Language Wikipedia, and the 10 week countdown for 2019.

SignType
--------

SignTyp is a linguistic coding system created by Rachel Channon that has
been integrated with SignWriting.  The project has over 20,000 videos
from over 20 sign languages.  She has completed several resources that
she will be announcing shortly.

Rachel's project is using a customized version of SignPuddle 2 with a
semi-automated analysis page she calls the Structured SignSpelling.  She
has thoroughly reviewed the ISWA 2010 and created a set of translation
files and an explanation of the Structured SignSpelling.  She is sharing
her data for the benefit of others. This is a great project and I'm
excited to use her data in SignPuddle 3.
https://signtyp.uconn.edu/

Brazilian Sign Language Wikipedia
-----------------------------

This week, the Brazilian Sign Language Wikipedia was recognized as an
"eligible" project according to the rules of the Wikimedia Language
Committee.  It was said to have a "Reasonable amount of content."
Thanks Adam Frost and everyone in Brazil who was involved.
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/langcom/2018-October/002246.html

The race is on. Which will be the first sign language Wikipedia with a
top-level domain?
* American Sign Language - https://ase.wikipedia.org/
* Brazilian Sign Language - https://bzs.wikipedia.org/

10 Week Countdown for 2019
-------------------------

We have reached the 10 week countdown for 2019.  I was hoping to
continue with SignWriting development full time in 2019, but I am only
5% of the way towards my funding goal.
https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/for-the-future-of-sutton-signwriting-101403924

For the best possible future, I need your support.  You can directly
support our work by joining the Patreon campaign as an individual. You
can also encourage your group, institution, school, or governmental
agency to support our efforts.  With the great news coming out of Brazil
and elsewhere, and with definitive research soon to be published, I
think even the United Nations should take notice of SignWriting and
support our work.
https://www.patreon.com/signwriting

I believe in SignWriting and I think we have an amazing future ahead of
us.  SignWriting is and always will be free to use.  Funding SignWriting
development is difficult to sell, but so important for the future.

Regardless of what happens, I will always support SignWriting.

All the best,
-Steve