SW-L  June 2019

SW-L June 2019

SignPuddle 3 beta is ready for testing

Stephen Slevinski <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 Jun 2019 09:21:49 -0500

Hi SignWriting list,

I'm happy to announce that the SignPuddle 3 beta is ready for testing.
The same usernames and passwords from SignPuddle 2 will work with
SignPuddle 3.  There are two sections that are working: the dictionaries
and the user interfaces.

I would appreciate anyone who can test SignPuddle 3.  I am interested in
all kinds of feedback, including bug reports, user experience, and
feature requests.  You can reply here, send me a private email, or
report the issue on GitHub.
https://github.com/Slevinski/apitxt/issues

Interfaces
======
Right now, I have auto-translated the user interface into several
languages.  I will be adding more languages soon.  If you have a
requested language for the user interface, please let me know.

These interfaces can be updated with SignPuddle 3.  If anyone would like
to clean the auto-translated interfaces, please let me know your
username and which language.  I will make you an editor for the user
interface.  You can edit the auto-translated interface or you can start
with a fresh copy of the English.

English default interface
https://signpuddle.com/client

Arabic
https://signpuddle.com/client/#!/?i=ar

Bengali
https://signpuddle.com/client/#!/?i=bn

Spanish
https://signpuddle.com/client/#!/?i=es

French
https://signpuddle.com/client/#!/?i=fr

Portuguese
https://signpuddle.com/client/#!/?i=pt

Russian
https://signpuddle.com/client/#!/?i=ru

Chinese
https://signpuddle.com/client/#!/?i=zh

Dictionaries
========
For the dictionaries, you can view all, search by IDs, terms, or sign.
You can create new signs.

If you are an editor, you can edit all of the signs.  Otherwise, you can
only edit signs you create.

You can create a selection of signs for PDF printing.  Depending on the
dictionary settings and your security rights, you can upload images for
the dictionary entries.  These images can be included in the PDF printing.

I will be created a series of instructional videos that demonstrate the
various functionality available.

SignText is not available within SignPuddle 3 yet.  That is the next
major development milestone.

Dictionary Editors and Managers
=====================
Each dictionary has its own set of editors and managers. Dictionary
editors can edit or delete any of the signs in a dictionary. Managers
control who is an editor.

Alternate Dictionaries
=============
Every sign language can have a main public dictionary. Additionally, any
sign language can have alternative or specialized dictionaries upon request.

Support and the future
==============
The best support you can give me right now is to test SignPuddle 3 and
give me feedback.  I would really appreciate it.

For SignPuddle 3, the next major development will be the new SignText.
This will include an integrated SignMaker, dictionary lookup, and
fingerspelling.

After that, I have the four additional sections.  Literature for sign
text documents.  Fingerspelling for automatic conversion from spoken
words.  Alphabets for custom extracts of the International SignWriting
Alphabet on the symbol palette.  Keyboarding for SignMaker and SignText.

For SignWriting, there is also the need for the two-dimensional font
development as well as continued support for the SignWriting websites.

If you find SignPuddle 3 useful, or any of my other work, consider
joining my supporters on Patreon with a monthly contribution.  I am
currently only 6% towards my funding and I could really use your support.

Regards,
-Steve
https://SteveSlevinski.me
https://www.patreon.com/signwriting