SW-L  March 2015

SW-L March 2015

Re: SW math problem solving

James Shepard-Kegl <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Mar 2015 00:12:50 +0000

Andre,

The materials I have were intended to be used in Nicaragua, and by students who were more comfortable reading SW than Spanish.  Since every student could read SW and almost no student could read Spanish, this material was designed for all of them.

We had textbooks with minimal language requirements and some workbooks that were entirely verbal problems, usually in Nicaraguan Sign Language (printed using SW) and Spanish.  All this on a shoestring budget, so the quality is limited.

Alas, I can't simply mail material to folks who request it.  This stuff took time to prepare, costs money to print and costs money to mail.  And, unless your mode of communication is ISN, this material is not of any use to you, anyway -- other than for demonstration purposes.  To that end, I have attached a sample.  This excerpt was from a 2012 text.  I do not think this material was actually adopted by any school in Nicaragua, since by 2012 I was no longer administering any schools nor implementing curriculum.  I, too, am waiting that precious grant.  In former years when I was living in Bluefields, we certainly used similar material from earlier texts that we had produced.  Mostly, I used material like this when training advanced students -- the ones who are teachers today.

Anyway, if you want to discuss an appropriate honorarium, I would be happy to come to Ottawa and conduct a workshop or simply present some lectures on SignWriting, integrating SW into your curriculum, and how to teach the grammar and syntax of a signed language.

Now I think I will go look up the definition of "Deafian".

-- James