Help for TITLEIII-LIST Archives

TITLEIII-LIST Archives

TITLEIII-LIST@LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

TITLEIII-LIST Home

TITLEIII-LIST  September 2003

TITLEIII-LIST September 2003

Re: TITLEIII-LIST Digest - 3 Sep 2003 to 4 Sep 2003 (#2003-29)

"McKusick, Donna" <[log in to unmask]>

US Department of Education Title III List Server <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:21:23 -0400

Dear Gerry,

Our Title III is mainly about developmental education, but because our needs
section focuses on the success differences between African American and
white learners, we have embarked on a ten year journey to close our
achievement gap. One component of that journey is in instruction, where we
are experimenting with culturally-mediated instruction (CMI) in three
sections (one in philosophy, one in English, and one in African American
history). We have three other faculty members (biology, computer information
services, and African-Amercican history) who are serving as learning
partners with the original three. These partners observe the CMI sections,
have discussion with the instructors to help in self-reflection about
teaching, and become prepared to offer CMI in the spring. I refer you to the
work of Etta Hollins and James Banks for more about culturally-mediated
instruction and what Banks calls "equity pedagogy."

Dr. Donna McKusick
T3 Activity Director
The Community College of Baltimore County