TITLEIII-LIST@LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

TITLEIII-LIST Home

TITLEIII-LIST  March 2004

TITLEIII-LIST March 2004

Re: Meal Costs for Title III Workshop

Jennifer Smith <[log in to unmask]>

US Department of Education Title III List Server <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:59:43 -0600

This is from an email that my program officer sent me (hope it helps!):

Use of Federal grant funds to pay for food--

        1.  The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-21
(section J. item 28 under professional activity costs) states that
"costs of meetings and conferences, when the primary purpose is the
dissemination of technical information, are allowable.  This includes
costs of meals, transportation, rental of facilities and other items
incidental to such meetings or conferences.

        2.  Most grantees want to use Title III funds to pay for food
when faculty/staff are attending a few hours or all day training
session.  May they do so?  It's obvious from the quote in the item above
that the only time "costs of meals" is allowed, is when the grantee is
holding a meeting of conference when the primary purpose is the
dissemination of technical information.

        3.  Why do many business offices at colleges and universities
NOT allow Title III coordinators to charge food costs to the grant?
It's pretty obvious that that is the case because of one very important
precedent---the colleges do NOT ROUTINELY PAY FOR SUCH COSTS THEMSELVES.
 In other words, if faculty are meeting to work on a certain
Department's plans for the year or to revise certain curricula, very
seldom would they simply go out and buy lots of food for themselves and
then charge it to the college.  Grantees should follow the college's or
university's ordinary policies and procedures.  Not to do so could be
viewed very negatively by other faculty members who are not part of a
Title III project.  They could easily be looked upon as a "special club"
that gets to do things that no one else at the college can do.

Jennifer Smith
Title III Project Director
Parkland College
2400 W. Bradley Ave.
Office D-131
Champaign, IL 61821-1899
217.403.4949

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/12/04 02:32PM >>>
I recall hearing at the Title III workshop last month that meals were a
no-no.  I assume that means unless it was associated with travel
expenses.
Rick Jenkins
Director of Information Systems
Southeast Arkansas College