TITLEIII-LIST@LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

TITLEIII-LIST Home

TITLEIII-LIST  October 2004

TITLEIII-LIST October 2004

Re: Justifications

"Lewis, Jonathan" <[log in to unmask]>

US Department of Education Title III List Server <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:02:22 -0500

Our approach at Benedictine University has been similar to Marietta's.  While we do have targeted programs and courses, additional funding was provided with fewer restrictions.  While we've done what we can to make sure that our most popular courses have been affected by those funds, we think faculty are the best ones to judge instructional success.

One unexpected difficulty we have run into is a lack of interest in participating during the academic year, which doesn't sound like a widespread experience.  So we've ended up holding workshops in the summer, which are much more popular.  Part of the agreement faculty sign off on involves commitment to course revision as a result of the training: they must alter their course(s) as a consequence of participating in a demonstrable way (i.e. it shows up in the syllabus as a key part of the course's construction).  How they do that is best left to them.  Summer workshops not only allow them the time to focus on course reconstruction, it also reduces the compensation we offer ($1,000 per week of full-time work in a computer lab, pro-rated for any missed time) and thus has allowed us to affect far more courses than we otherwise would have by providing one or two semesters of release time to a single individual.

As a private, largely liberal arts institution, our faculty respond better to invitation, reward, and the examples set by their colleagues than to mandates or measures of success compiled either by non-faculty or faculty outside their disciplines.  This method seems to work well for them, as they now expect all classrooms to be equipped with new equipment, are obsessed by the reliability of our campus network, and want assurances that our campus is at least as well equipped technologically as comparable instititutions in the region.  I'm confident we'll exceed our goals for impacting course transformation.

Now, if only we could only have a similar impact in what appears to be everyone's major struggle: retention.

Jon Lewis
Director of the Title III Grant