TITLEIII-LIST@LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

TITLEIII-LIST Home

TITLEIII-LIST  November 2004

TITLEIII-LIST November 2004

Re: a question about faculty stipends

Diane Vickrey <[log in to unmask]>

US Department of Education Title III List Server <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Nov 2004 16:55:52 -0500

Carol,

We held a faculty summer institute and paid stipends to faculty for their
attendance. I believe this is acceptable. My biggest problem turned out to
be the College's share of retirement benefits that we had to pay in
addition to the stipend (roughly 27%).

Diane

Diane M. Vickrey
Dean of Planning and Institutional Effectiveness
Southern Maine Community College
2 Fort Road
South Portland, ME 04106
www.smccME.edu
(207) 741-5798

             "Klein, Carol"
             <Carol.Klein@SUNY
             WCC.EDU>                                                   To
             Sent by: US               [log in to unmask]
             Department of             DU
             Education Title                                            cc
             III List Server
             <TITLEIII-LIST@LI                                     Subject
             STSERV.VALENCIACC         a question about faculty stipends
             .EDU>

             11/03/2004 03:30
             PM

             Please respond to
             US Department of
              Education Title
              III List Server
             <TITLEIII-LIST@LI
             STSERV.VALENCIACC
                   .EDU>

Hello everyone,

We are planning on holding a series of training workshops for our online
instructors.  We have done this each semester and  found attendance to be
very low.  Because of the poor response we are rethinking how we might
induce more faculty to participate.  One idea we're considering is holding
a series of workshops and giving each of those who attend all of the
sessions a certificate of completion, a reception, and a stipend of about
$200.

Are we allowed to use Title III funds for the stipends?  There is no budget
item in our grant for faculty training although having more knowledgeable
instructors is implicit in the grant.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Carol