SW-L May 2010

Re: Exporting from SignPuddle

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 May 2010 08:39:37 -0700

May 14, 2010

Hello Charles and Steve -
I noticed that Steve mentioned this in his message to Jonathan - there are several theories as to what sequence is best, and certainly your theory is the one that I personally also believed in, Charles, until recently I had a different experience and it changed my own personal theory...but I am just learning too...all theories are welcome and have value.

And Steve's software is so flexible that you can use any theory you choose to put signs into the Sequence you feel is best...so there is complete flexibility and no one is saying what is right or wrong...until we have very large dictionaries printed in book form, sorted by different theories, we actually will never know what really works for large groups of signers...so that is research that needs to be done someday...it is such a large subject that could be the dissertation for a Ph.D...

And thank you, Charles, for your extensive work on this topic already...and your work is an important milestone and valued...

And I too thought that writing the beginning handshapes first, and then the Location of those hands, would be the logical sequence too, until I started printing out dictionaries that were sorted by signs, with over 3000 signs in the dictionary...and when the amount of signs was a large number, like 3000 or more, and I tried to look-up a sign in this thick document, I found my experience was not what i expected...I wrote a message to the list about this about a year ago - I will need to find it -

I will be happy to explain this next message...I will write again...

Val ;-)