SW-L  July 2010

SW-L July 2010

AW: 5 fingers handshape

Stefan Wöhrmann <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Jul 2010 13:51:18 +0200

Hi Val and sw-list, ...

"You do not need to be embarrassed, Dali, to ask any question, and this one
is a good one!"

I agree!

 "It oftentimes comes up."

(It is just because of these two theories ;-((  )

"There are two theories in the SignWriting world on how to write these
handshapes, when the fingers are in an Angle or Hinge position, and both
ways of writing them are fine....So just relax and enjoy the differences.
Vive les différences!"

Well - ok. Nobody is forced whatsoever to use the SignWriting symbols in a
specific way. On the other hand - ha - if any beginner continues to teach
what he thinks and understands .. well there will be big confusion ...

Well - it seems to be a question of feeling, or following a visual
impression or kind of logical point of view - or just a matter of tradition,
familiarity...

"Let me explain the writing method I know best - the one we use here...let's
call our writing method the "Sutton-DAC" style of writing ;-) "

Hi Val and Adam,
It is difficult for me to follow your explanation. I cannot find any visual
proof for this ...

I prefer the other way to write these Angle or Hinge position of the 5 hands
- following the the "thumb-rule" Just as Charles mentioned it before.
This allows a fast intuitive reading, no guessing, no additional knowledge -
just write what you see.

Just my opinion and the way I teach it ...

Stefan ;-)