Monospaced Font

SW-L  July 2010

SW-L July 2010

Re: Vertical Theme for the ASL section of my blog?

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:04:11 -0700

July 27, 2010

Hello Charles, Adam, Stefan, Bill, Kelly Jo and everyone!

It is just a matter of design and choice - of course we can all read SignWriting horizontally and vertically - and of course we can scroll in all directions and do all day long...at least I seem to do nothing but scroll all day...

I once saw the most beautiful thick book in written Chinese all in vertical columns - including all headers - the headers were written vertically on the right side of the page (I guess you could call them siders) - and the Chinese book was stunningly beautiful, with illustrations inter-mixed within the columns - but it was all vertical and no horizontal - I enjoyed that design, but that is just my personal preference and no requirement for anyone - we all can write in any direction and design all kinds of styles of blogs, newspapers and other publications - SignWriting is flexible like clay and can be molded to your own designs...

There is a poem in Spain written in SignWriting in a circle...sort of like a spiral...and that can be read too -

I am glad everyone is enjoying Adam's blog - I think it is brilliant and I love the new experience of reading a blog in ASL...no matter what design choice is made in the future - it is up to Adam, and others can design their own blogs in different ways -

I hope more blogs in written sign languages will develop over time - and newspapers and magazines of course too -

Val ;-)