SW-L  September 2010

SW-L September 2010

Re: Novo Deit-Libras: New study on picture univocity has standardized picture naming with close to 11,000 students (from 20 to 2 years of age) allowing for assessment and intervention tool research & development

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:01:18 -0700

September 2, 2010

Hello Fernando -
Thank you for your messages and this message below is very interesting regarding your research...

To answer your question below about line drawings or illustrations...

Since this is the SignWriting List, I can answer it from the SignWriting perspective...

Yes, of course your line drawings as illustrations of signs are very useful and easy to understand.....and you have developed an excellent way to produce the illustrations to illustrate the signs, and that has been proven by your research below, that Deaf students are understanding them well - that is a terrific accomplishment, Fernando. Congrats on this important work.

And thank you for including SignWriting in your dictionary entries too.

But to change the subject slightly related to SignWriting and literacy...SignWriting has a different purpose than line drawings. Most signers are not professional artists who can draw their own line drawings when writing their own sign poetry or stories, so the purpose of SignWriting is to provide the world with a real writing system for daily use, for writing sign poetry and literature directly without translation from any other language. Signers can express themselves directly on a daily basis in their daily language, writing in the handshapes, facial expressions and movements of their language, in full sign sentences. And I understand this is happening more and more in Brazil...so it is another avenue of communication that perhaps can be researched more later...really two different subjects...dictionaries and literature are different topics.

But when it comes to Deaf Literacy, SignWriting seems to help some Deaf people improve their literacy skills in both spoken and signed languages...there is some research, but not enough yet to prove this, but in Saudi Arabia, Germany, Quebec and New Mexico, some research has taken place and seems to be positive.

I understand that SignWriting is taught in some schools and classrooms in Brazil ...are you testing your work in classrooms that are specfically using SignWriting? That would be interesting research for us to know about.

And by the way, have you considered joining the Sign Language Linguists List and share your work with them? The SLLING List is related to Sign Language Linguistics in general. To join the SLLING, go to:

http://listserv.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?HOME

They have over 600 subscribers and perhaps someone might want to write a review of your beautiful dictionary!

Congrats once again -

Val ;-)

---------