TITLEIII-LIST@LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

TITLEIII-LIST Home

TITLEIII-LIST  September 2010

TITLEIII-LIST September 2010

Re: math software

Don Staub <[log in to unmask]>

US Department of Education Title III List Server <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Sep 2010 07:30:02 -0400

Shelli -

Good stuff. This sounds like you have put A LOT of thought and energy into developing this.  I would be very interested in learning about your assessment of this initiative (along with results and use of results...if you're willing to share).

What I see as one of the most critical aspects of your project is that it's relatively low-budget, which makes it easier to sustain and institutionalize. Through Title III funding, we were able to develop an in-house online tutoring service http://ccctitle3.wordpress.com/category/online-services/  One of the issues we thought long and hard about was: How to institutionalize this?  We felt (and still feel, as we enter year 5), that we've done a great job in developing and institutionalizing this initiative.

Best,
Don

Donald Staub
Title III Director
Carteret Community College
3505 Arendell St.
Morehead City, NC 28557
252.222.6010 (p)
252.240.9082 (c)
skype: staubdonald2
http://ccctitle3.wordpress.com/
>>> "Shelli Koester"  08/31/10 8:18 PM >>>
Providing student support services to our students at a distance comparable to those services provided to our on-campus student is a major part of our Title III initiative.  NECC launched online tutoring with a small pilot of courses (accounting, English composition and geography) within months of our grant funding.  Over the summer we added even more courses two of which included a math tutor working with a very small group of online students.  Our tutors have gotten very creative when working through email but Title III has enabled us to invest in some tools (cyber pads and gooseneck webcams) which we feel will be especially beneficial to math tutors.  The next step on our online tutoring journey for math tutors will likely include incorporating a free online collaboration website called Vyew (http://vyew.com/site/ ).

Perhaps a little background on our process will help.  All of our tutors are "enrolled" in our Learning Management System (LMS) in the course(s) they are tutoring.  They are listed by first name and "Tutor" as a surname (e.g. Shelli Tutor) so students can easily know who to contact for support.  (At the beginning of the term, tutors are also introduced by the course instructor and introduce themselves via course announcements.)  We've experimented with tutors setting up their own Vyew accounts within which they can invite a student seeking tutoring to a tutoring session.  The student can attend the session by clicking on the link provided by the tutor and does not have to enroll in Vyew him/herself.

Vyew has a white board and we've successfully linked into our own cyber pad and connected a gooseneck webcam aimed at a paper with math problems.  Vyew also allows for chat or video chat although the video image is too small to be effective.  When we used headsets with microphones, we were able to experiment with a tutor demonstrating a math problem and the "student" could ask questions.  The student could also talk the tutor through a problem step-by-step where both could view the process as the tutor followed the student's directions but we were unable to get the student to effectively (unless s/he had a cyber pad and stylus) work the problem out so the tutor could see it online.

Vyew also has a feature where a student can upload a paper so that an English tutor can work through it while talking to the student.  Both the student and tutor will see the paper, can mark up on it and etc.  The tutoring session is saved so the student can refer back to the marked up paper but no edits are able to be made nor can the student effectively print a marked up copy.  Naturally free technology will have some limitations!

One of the most beneficial tools our math instructors use are math casts.  Rather than an instructor or tutor being available to answer student questions 24/7, we have a math instructor who created hundreds (perhaps even over a thousand) mini videos where students hear him talking his way through a math problem and can see what he is writing on the screen.  Someone explained it like the student gets to look over his shoulder while he works out a math problem on the white board.  It is powerful when a struggling student can watch multiple examples of problem solving over and over.  I believe he has at least five samples of different types of math problems.  They are available in a repository within his online or hybrid math courses.  We are hoping to move to a repository of such resources not only for our math students but all students which would available to our students through electronic access.

I hope this is helpful.  I've appreciated reading what others are doing and look forward to sharing some of the websites and ideas generated by your question, Carolyn.  Good luck to you and to Charles too as you work to find the solution and process that works best for your institution.

Shelli Koester  Title III Activity Coordinator
402-844-7059   |  [log in to unmask]  |  maclay 122

My position is made possible through a Title III-Strengthening Institutions grant, P031A090050, from the US Department of Education.