SW-L  October 2010

SW-L October 2010

Tunisian Avatar uses SignWriting on WebSign site

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:27:22 -0700

October 29, 2010

Dear SW List Members!
I am happy to tell you that programmers in Tunisia have successfully programmed using SignWriting to program an avatar that signs. You can view a demonstration on this web site:

WebSign
To break the silence of deaf
The Research Laboratory UTIC, University of Tunis, Tunisia
http://hebergcck224.rnu.tn/ws/index.php

and using Internet Explorer on Windows, download the WS plugin 2.0 that is available there. Once the plugin is installed in IE, the Avatar will appear. He is a cool looking Avatar, who signs numbers and fingerspells from several sign languages. Click on the menu Demonstration at the top to see a demo. See attached screen captures below.

Demonstration Avatar
http://hebergcck224.rnu.tn/ws/_site/demo.php

This work has been accomplished by Maher Jbali, who already finished his MA degree, and will now start his Ph.D, under the guidance of Prof. Mohammed Jemni:

Prof. Mohammed Jemni
http://hebergcck224.rnu.tn/ws/_site/developper.php

I want to thank Maher Jbali and Prof. Mohammed Jemni for their hard work, and for inviting me to present at a conference in Tunisia in November 2010. I am hoping I can present over Skype. I will write a message about this to the list as well...

See screen captures of the avatar attached..