SW-L  December 2010

SW-L December 2010

AW: copy and past

Stefan Wöhrmann <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:42:12 +0100

.. Hi Val ,

what do you mean?

I am supposed to know how to do "what" from MS-DOS ??

Stefan

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2010 17:49
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: copy and past

SignWriting List
December 15, 2010

Hello Bill and Meryeme -

Very true...thank you Bill...so here is my question...Does Notepad accept
Unicode? For example, text can also be written Arabic, written Chinese and
so forth, using Unicode...

I haven't used MS-DOS in years, but my memory is that Notepad is only ASCIII
characters?

Can you write Arabic in Notepad, Meryeme?

In recent years, Steve Slevinski developed a way to place SignWriting
symbols into UTF8, which is not the official Unicode, but getting closer...I
wonder if UTF8 could work in Notepad? probably not -

Can you use another program, like WordPad, Meryeme? Or Microsoft Word? Does
WordPad accept graphics? We know Word does...

Inside the SignWriter DOS program, the SignWriting symbols act like text.
But outside the SignWriter DOS environment, they become graphics, except for
Steve's special work with Binary SignWriting (BSW) and UTF8:
http://www.signbank.org/bsw/

So if you need the graphics of each symbol, Meryeme, you can download the
complete symbolset in .png format, or possibly in .gif format for the old
symbols used in SignWriter DOS, without using any program.

Go to SymbolBank download page for SignWriter DOS symbols: sss-1995:
http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/IMWA2004/IMWA-Downloads.html

If you need the graphics of completely written signs, that is different - I
use SignPuddle to do that, or SignWriter Java, rather than MS-DOS -

Maybe Stefan will know how to do it from MS-DOS?

Val ;-)

---------

On Dec 15, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Bill Reese wrote:

> Meryeme,
> Notepad is text only format - it doesn't save format information so such
things like graphics can't be put into Notepad.   Once you put signwriting
into a word processor, it's available as a graphic and can be copied and
pasted into other programs that support graphics but not programs that
support only text.

> Bill
>

> On 12/15/2010 10:04 AM, Meryeme Ayache wrote:
>> hey every one
>>
>> I am wondering if we can copy and past from word the signwriting letters
to notepad for exemple. I mean I am wondering if we can copy f to notepad
without it get converted to f. do you have an idea about how to do that
please?