Monospaced Font

SW-L  December 2010

SW-L December 2010

AW: need advice about SignWriting Literature Flyer

Stefan Wöhrmann <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:23:33 +0100

Hi Valerie,

hmm - so you think some DEAF person might feel criticized if you offer
SignWriting as a tool to improve his options to read documents?

Well - deaf people will be surprised that there is a way to write and read
what people can express in Sign Language.

You know that my focus is somewhere else. I need your invention so badly to
improve the spoken language skills of deaf students.

For some Deaf people especially for my deaf students it is a challenge to
express the same idea which can be signed without any problem in
grammatically correct German.

SignWriting - in our case "GebaerdenSchrift" allows them to understand this
difficult task better and better if they get the chance to work on
worksheets showing the SignLanguage part along with the German translation.

In another way SignWriting is a wonderful opportunity to pay attention to
the performance of a competent signer. We read a story which can be seen on
a video - but reading the same thing is a wonderful different experience.

So I would not have any problem with your idea that SignWriting can be a
wonderful tool to improve or to support Deaf people to bridge the two
worlds...

Stefan ;-)