Monospaced Font

SW-L  December 2010

SW-L December 2010

QUESTION: writing one sign in four viewpoints

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:59:50 -0800

text/plain (14 lines) , ASL Oppose in 4 Views-1.png (14 lines) , text/plain (17 lines) , ASL-Oppose-in-4-Views-Val-correction.png (17 lines) , text/plain (8 lines) , ASL-Oppose-in-4-Views-Val.png (8 lines) , text/plain (9 lines)

SignWriting List
December 13, 2010

Dear SW Listers -

I receive technical questions in private email. Here is one that might be of interest...

QUESTION:

> Have I written the ASL sign "oppose" correctly in all these view points? (see image below) I know that it is clearest in normal writing. But I was asked to give an example of the same sign written in different views. .... What do you think?

ANSWER:

As you know, we rarely write in the Receptive, Side or Top views...

BUT...if we are going to write those, you did an excellent job. I only have two tiny corrections...

1. The side view head has to start in the center between the two hands, just like the head is in the center between the two hands in the other viewpoints.

2. The Top View of the side of the hands parallel to the floor, has a little broken line at the finger joint, to show the Top View palm facing - please see examples attached...

Here is the final graphic:

Very well written!

Val ;-)