SW-L  December 2010

SW-L December 2010

Re: I need your help

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Dec 2010 07:40:17 -0800

December 9, 2010

Hello Meryeme!
Thank you for this message. You are not disturbing us. I am always happy to receive your questions as much as you need to ask them! Did you ever meet with Shane in Fes? Just curious ;-)

To download SignWriter DOS, go to:

SignWriting Downloads
http://www.SignWriting.org/downloads

SignWriter DOS is number 6 on that page. When you click on number 6, it takes you to the SignWriter DOS download page:

SignWriter DOS download
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/sw44/download/index.html

Scroll down - you can choose SignWriter DOS for different countries. Your project is using ASL, so download the SignWriter DOS for the US...it is number 8 on that web page.

BUT...before you can use SignWriter DOS on modern Windows computers, you MUST first install another program called DOSBox that makes it possible to use SignWriter.

To download DOSBox, go to:
http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Install DOSBox first, and then install SignWriter DOS inside it -

That should work!

Instruction on how to use SignWriter DOS is here:
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/sw44/sw44less/index.html

You can also see other software for SignWriting here:

Go to the SignWriting Software Forum
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/

and visit this page too:

SignWriter Java
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/sw50/index.html

Download sources for SignWriter here:
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/sw50/download/download01.html

Just so you understand, the SignWriter program, although an excellent program for its time, is not what most people use to write SignWriting today. We use another program, called SignPuddle Online. The world uses SignPuddle Translate to do our translations...I am happy to teach you how to use SignPuddle anytime, and when Yuri writes his chemistry signs, I hope he is writing them in SignPuddle Online, not SignWriter DOS:

Go to SignPuddle Online:

SignPuddle Online
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/

I can help you learn SignPuddle too - it is developed by Steve Slevinski, whom you have already had communication with...

So keep asking questions on the SignWriting List - thank you for this question!

Val ;-)

--------