Monospaced Font

SW-L  January 2011

SW-L January 2011

Re: AW: how would you like to improve the SignWriting List?

Lucy <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:34:05 +0100

>In some ways I agree with Shane. People will not make the effort to go up
>on the web to read the messages posted there, if they do not have the
>option of receiving the messages in their email. Can people, in a web
>forum, choose to receive their messages through email too?

Many people use different web forum during their leisure time and they don't
want the List mesages getting into their mail box just when they are working
or are busy with other things. Yes, I know that they can always read them
later but later.... there are more postings to go through and this is
discouraging. People are different. Some prefer e-mails, some other prefer
web forums. So, I don't agree with Shane.

>Since the web forums are free, do they throw ads at you? We used to have
>one of our List Archives on Yahoo egroups, and they forced readers into
>seeing full page ads before they could read the message they were searching
>for, and some of those ads were sexually-explicit and I was concerned that
>an educational group like our SignWriting List might have children with
>teachers accessing the Archives, and I did not want those ads being thrown
>at our users, so Bill Reese helped move our second Archives over to
>LinguistList.org (our Archive 3) ...which was a fortuitous move -

Some do, some don't. I can look for a forum with no or "user-friendly" ads.

Lucy