SW-L  January 2011

SW-L January 2011

Re: AW: how would you like to improve the SignWriting List?

Erika Hoffmann <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:36:10 -0500

I would also love to see more posts in SW (ideally from as many
different sign languages as possible - it would be fun an interesting
if posts from sign languages unfamiliar to all list members could come
with a gloss or translation, so that we could take advantage of this
multilingual group to learn things about how other sign languages
work).
I also like the idea that interested list members could post and
compare their SW versions of video clips. Partly because, as Stefan
said, even if it is an unfamiliar SL we can write what we see and
learn about spelling. But also, people don't always see the same
things in a clip (some people notice mouth movements, some people pay
more attention to other aspects). So it will be interesting for
everyone to see the many ways in which a given sign can be represented
(especially if everyone respects each other's visions).
As for the forum option, I totally understand Lucy's interest. But to
me it remains the most important thing that the archives continue to
be added to and accessible. The discussions on this list are, to me,
of historical significance!
So, I've really added nothing new here - but just chiming in support
of some other comments.
Best,
Erika

--