SW-L  January 2011

SW-L January 2011

Re: SignPuddle Literature - How many signs per entry are possible?

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:50:23 -0800

January 22, 2011

Hello Stefan and everyone -

I think for the first time I experienced this issue recently, when I
tried to respond to your SignMail, Stefan, and the server said there
was not enough memory to load the message - or something like that -
Can you take a screen capture of what the message says when you try to
do that? That will help Steve and the technicians who run our server,
to figure out what to do...so that is the first thing...to give Steve
the exact message...

But I can tell you, there are different ways to work in SignPuddle -
the software is flexible and there are choices. I am guessing...but I
believe the problem you are experiencing does not happen to me or to
others in the ASL Bible Puddle for a reason...we are never
transferring long messages BETWEEN puddles...we are writing long
articles, with lots of signs per page, because we are staying within
the same puddle...

In my case, and some others work like I do too, I write each sign
sentence directly in SignText without using the Translate Feature at
all...so there is nothing to transfer between puddles then...

And there is another method to avoid transfers....the ASL Bible puddle
has BOTH their dictionary entries and their documents in the same
puddle - so they can use the Translate Feature but they don't have to
transfer it to another puddle...they have long documents without the
problems of transferring -

I think the problem needs to be fixed no matter what, but at least
this shows you how some are avoiding the problem - I prefer the
literature and dictionary puddles to be in separate files, so that was
why I gave you and everyone a separate puddle for dictionaries and a
separate puddle for literature, but after seeing the success of the
ASL Bible Puddle I realize that having both dictionary and literature
in one file has an advantage too...

ASL Bible Puddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=28

Place an asterisk * in the Search Field in Search by Words in the ASL
Bible Puddle and press Search, and take a look at some of the long
documents in Matthew or John or Romans, for example...

So do an experiment next time - do the Translate in the dictionary,
but do not transfer it to Literature, but place it in the same
dictionary where the Translation was done...does the same problem
happen?

Val ;-)

-------