SW-L  January 2011

SW-L January 2011

AW: how would you like to improve the SignWriting List?

Stefan Wöhrmann <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:55:07 +0100

Hi Val and sw-list friends,

I thought about "some topics",

Years ago we had fun to look at a video-clip or photos of a signer and
discussed the options how to transcribe this in SW.

On several internet-platforms there are SL video-clips available. As long as
we discuss an isolated demonstration of any given movement performed with a
given hand shape and eventually more information (like Mundbilder - smile)
it does not matter with which SL of the world this given sign is associated.
We just look at the performance. What do I see - what do I want to write? We
all can learn from that. Some of the list-members - like you Valerie - seem
to be equipped with a camera and software that allows to post a small video
clip without too much effort. Any performance is welcome to study the
options of Sutton SignWriting. (just sign the sign for the colour "yellow",
"California", "New York" or "black bird" the way you would sign it. If we
focus on our job to transcribe any movement it is not that important how
many other deaf or hearing would sign it the same way. So we are not
discussing SL issues but SignWriting aspects. This is a big difference. Just
in contrary. If someone feels motivated to perform the same term differently
it is a very welcome opportunity to post the other video and to try another
transcription.

Another opportunity would be to make up some kind of table that shows the
same term signed in different SL of the world: "mother", "colour", "water",
"DEAF", "14" ...

SignWriting allows to write what we see. What a wonderful concept if we can
proof to ourselves that different skilled reader would perform a given
written sign the same way. Same is true for the spelling. Although we accept
different options to spell a performed sign there are lots of opportunities
to learn about the correct and not correct interpretations of the given
36,600 graphemes in this ISWA 2010 set. I felt so happy when Steve and Diane
Parkhurst came to visit me. They looked at my SW- documents and explained to
me that there are several misinterpretations of head movement graphemes and
other problems. In the past and till today I am very much interested to look
at the way how you Valerie would write a given performance.

OK - enough for now.

It is beautiful outside - still dark at almost 8.00 o`clock in the morning.
Snow everywhere. ... but later a good chance to take a photo of a nice bird.
I should do that.

Stefan ;-)