SW-L  January 2011

SW-L January 2011

Re: SignWriting in Portugal - New project developing materials

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 Jan 2011 08:58:35 -0800

January 15, 2011

Hello Rafa!
Welcome to the SignWriting List, and thank you for introducing your project. I am happy your Masters Degree thesis will, in the second part, be about SignWriting ;-)

You have my collaboration and interest in your project. I look forward to working with you on translating SignWriting materials into Portuguese and Portuguese Sign Language, and other parts of your project. Continue to ask questions here on the List about software and writing signs...that is the purpose of the SW List, is to provide technical support for both software and writing signs and sign literature.

I just gave you Editor status in the Portuguese SignPuddle:

Portuguese SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index3.html#sgn-PT

There are now two editors...Rafaela Silva and Jorge Rodrigues ;-)

Anyone can add signs to a SignPuddle online, and then they can edit their own signs...

But Editors can edit all signs in the dictionary, no matter who wrote them.

Whenever you use SignPuddle, be sure to login with your password, because then you get more features for editing.

I believe you have already started to translate this book into Portuguese and Portuguese Sign Language? That will be a true gift for the world. Thank you. I will help you all the way...

http://www.signwriting.org/lessons Val ;-) On Jan 15, 2011, at 6:13 PM, Rafaela Silva wrote: > Hello everyone! > > Like Valerie suggested.. let me tell you about my project: > > First of all, my name is Rafaela and I am a Sign Language Interpreter in > Portugal. > > Right now, I am doing my Masters where I intend to study the signwriting and > apply it to the portuguese sign language. > > Thus, at this point I am trying to collect as much material as possible in > order to make the theoretical. > > My idea for the first part is to start by explaining that sign languages > have characteristics of languages, particularly the arbitrariness and > conventionality (I'm not sure if in English the words are correct, we say in > Portuguese "convencionalidade" and "arbitrariedade"). In follow, I want to > allude to William Stokoe, the first to recognize the linguistic status of > the SL. > > The second part is devoted to signwriting: where, how, and why has arisen: > who invented it, what are their characteristics, what are the benefits of > using this system, among others ... > > So if they are available to collaborate with me I am open to any suggestion. > > Thank you very much > > Rafa :) > ------ Val ;-) Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator [log in to unmask] Post Messages to the SignWriting List: [log in to unmask] SignWriting List Archives & Home Page http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages http://listserv.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1