SW-L  February 2011

SW-L February 2011

Re: Handshape available?

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:18:32 -0800

February 28, 2011

Hello Natasha, Steve and List Members!

My guest, who is a SignWriting user, just left after staying overnight here. We had such a terrific time in the past 24 hours, discussing SignWriting and so many things, and I am now trying to absorb all the wonderful things we discussed...

And I am happy to teach you how to construct new handshapes in SignWriting, using either the ISWA 2008 or 2010. It is the same, no matter what, because the feature of constructing handshapes is built into the SignWriting system, and also built into SignPuddle software.

It is always best to use the "officially pre-constructed handshapes" whenever possible, obviously, for a variety of reasons. With the "official symbols" you can sort the dictionaries by handshape more accurately, and search for signs that use that handshape, and so forth...

But sometimes it is necessary to construct an unusual handshape that is not "officially constructed" in the ISWA 2008 or ISWA 2010...that will happen from time to time...it cannot be avoided...so we set up a way to do that...

So let me start by teaching you how to construct a handshape in SignPuddle software first, and then I can also share with you the theories behind the "pieces" that make up a handshape... You probably already know the "theories behind handshape construction", so learning the software is the most important...

See next message for the document...it may take me an hour to prepare this document, but then I will post the document on the web and on the List, for others to use...

Thank you for the question, Natasha!

Val ;-)

---------

-----