SW-L  February 2011

SW-L February 2011

Re: My new SignWriting Hoodie from Cafe Press

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:41:02 -0800

February 20, 2011

Hello Adam!

Thank you for this great report from Gallaudet...and thanks for posting the picture of you in one of the CafePress SignWriting items - you are the first to show me what a shirt or hoodie looks like from CafePress...

SignWriting shirts and mugs and mouse pads at CafePress http://www.cafepress.com/SignWriting I would love to have more designs of different sign languages writing sentences and phrases...it would be great - so if anyone has a design, please send me the artwork in jpeg or png or psd formats and I will place them on all sorts of items available at Cafepress - Please say "hello" to Bob Johnson for me - My goodness...I met Bob Johnson in 1984 (smile). When I taught a brief SignWriting Workshop at Gallaudet, which Charles Butler attended (smile - hi Charles!)... Bob and I and others, went out to lunch and discussed writing systems while I was at Gallaudet in 1984 - it was a great discussion ;-) SignWriting has vastly improved and evolved since 1984...as you point out in your message below, Adam...thank you for explaining it to them... 1984 was the year that the Deaf newspaper reporters (Lucinda O'Grady Batch, Meriam Ina Schroeder and others) asked for a meeting, and we had a meeting of everyone working with SignWriting and it was decided that writing from the Expressive View and writing in vertical columns should be the norm...those were very big changes...and also that we would not use stick figures except for rare needs to show the whole body - so the writing system changed and improved directly in and after 1984. We didn't have a computer program back then either - SignWriter for the Apple //e and //c started in 1986 - two years later - so I think it is time for everyone to see how SignWriting has changed! Thank you for wearing your hoodie and for discussing it with people, Adam - I love the photo! Val ;-) ------------- On Feb 20, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Adam Frost wrote: > I bought a hoodie from Cafe Press a while back for two reasons. Washington DC has winters that Los Angeles, California does not. ;-P And I thought that having SignWriting visible on me would be a good reason to get conversations started while I am at Gallaudet. It is really interesting that people would try to read what it said. I mean, I had people stare at my hoodie from across the room trying to figure it out. Then they would come up to me and ask me if it means this or that, or even just flat out ask me what it means. When I would tell them and show them how to read it, they would say they could see it. Then they would ask me what it is. I'd tell them it is SignWriting and then they would see the web link on the bottom and say, "oh, I see. I will check out the link." I have not once gotten a negative response of any sort. But I think that most people here really don't know much about SignWriting that they wouldn't have anything negative to say about it. > > It was also interesting how SignWriting came up in one of my classes. The teacher was talking about various systems that have been and/or are used to record ASL. He was reading an old article written in SignWriting to the class (probably from the old SW newspaper). There was one sign that he read completely wrong, and I corrected him and proceeded to explain to him why it was what I said with a short reading lessen. ;-) He asked me how I knew. I thought it was funny that I was wearing my hoodie at the time and I told him that I work with Val. Bob Johnson says Hi, Val. ;-) > > I really am glad that I have gotten the hoodie from Cafe Press. I think I will get some other things for conversational starters. I am also going to see about getting other sentences so that way people will not see the same thing. ;-) I think that everyone could find something that would make good conversational starters about SignWriting. It also will make it so people see that SW isn't "dead" as some people have told me they thought. :-) > > Adam >