SW-L  May 2011

SW-L May 2011

Re: Updated ISWA 2010 HTML Reference

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 May 2011 15:30:16 -0700

May 16, 2011

Hello Maria and Steve -

Yes, Maria, I agree...I too thought of that, when I saw Adam's hand photos placed beside each hand symbol in Steve's web design... how nice it would be if we had photos of the Facial Expression symbols as well!

The biggest problem I have found is to find a person or model who has a very expressive face - because each face has slight differences and it is hard to hold some of these positions, or even to see some of them, such as the tongue inside the mouth and so forth...So first we have to find the person to photograph... some facial expression symbols are loosely interpreted and are based more on a "feeling" ... like the "dreamy eyebrows" that are used when saying "once upon a time many years ago" in ASL storytelling of fairytales ...and not everyone can even do some facial expression positions - smile -

So I wonder if a drawing or clay model of facial expressions wouldn't be better? - does anyone have illustrations that match each Facial Expression symbol?

Val ;-)