SW-L  May 2011

SW-L May 2011

SignWriting in Polish Wiktionary

Olaf Matyja <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 May 2011 23:23:50 +0200

I'm happy to inform that inside the Polish edition of the Wiktionary,
a Polish Sign Language section has been created. Over 1600 dictionary
entries were enhanced by Polish Sign Language translations in
SignWriting notation. In fact it is an import of the brillant work
primarily by Lucyna Długołęcka, acquired from the Polish SignPuddle.
The sings have been uploaded to the Wikimedia Commons repository,
which makes them available in all language editions of Wikipedia,
Wikibooks, and other Wikimedia Foundation projects.

URL of the dictionary:
http://pl.wiktionary.org/wiki/S%C5%82ownik_polskiego_j%C4%99zyka_migowego

An example of the translation: http://pl.wiktionary.org/wiki/minuta#transl

Uploaded signs: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Polish_SignWriting

Unfortunately the pictures are still in bitmap format, because SVG
versions were not available a few months ago.
Entries sometimes lack a bit of formatting as well (for example here:
http://pl.wiktionary.org/wiki/godzina#transl ).
A new look has been discussed:
http://pl.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wikis%C5%82ownik:Bar/Archiwum_13#Polski_j.C4.99zyk_migowy_.E2.80.93_t.C5.82umaczenia
however the entries haven't been converted yet. But it's a matter of
time, I believe...

Best regards,
Olaf Matyja