SW-L  June 2011

SW-L June 2011

Wikipedia article

George Veronis <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Jun 2011 11:12:26 -0400

I very recently started on sign language just out of interest and
curiosity.  In the process of learning I discovered that signwriting
exists so I looked it up in Wikipedia.

I don't know who wrote the Wikipedia article about signwriting but I
do have a suggested change.  Since that article may be the first one
for people who are interested in learning about signwriting , I
believe that it is essential that the first demonstration should be
very clear and free of ambiguity or confusion.  Cherie Wren's version
of Jack and Jill is not the way to introduce the topic.  The
introduction should contain a very literal transliteration of
signing.  That would give a person an idea of what it is about and how
to go about it.  In Cherie's poem the second line, "to fetch a pail of
water", doesn't contain the words: pail, fetch or water.  I spent
quite a lot of time