Monospaced Font

SW-L  May 2012

SW-L May 2012

Re: Egyptian SignPuddle, Question Handshape

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 May 2012 13:50:45 -0700

May 3, 2012

On May 3, 2012, at 1:19 PM, Ryan Fan wrote:

> Thanks for the advice, Val! I was perhaps being too much of a perfectionist looking for a hand symbol where the middle finger didn't completely wrap around the index, but I'm going to suppose the partial crossover and full crossover are two manifestations of the same underlying phoneme for Egyptian Sign until proven otherwise. I'll leave a note on this sign entry. Thanks again!
> -Ryan

Hello Ryan -

I think your decision is a wise one. This brings up an interesting topic...

How much detail to write and what is necessary?

Beginning writers tend to write more detail, and over time, they learn through experience what is necessary and not necessary within their sign language.

Think of the letter "A" in western spoken languages - The letter "A" is pronounced differently in London, Paris, Rome, Hamburg, New York and Massachusetts. In fact, in Massachusetts, there are two well-known dialects that pronounce the letter A differently - let alone California where I come from - smile -

But all of these dialects and languages still write the same symbol "A" and either the reader knows the dialect and understands that it is pronounced differently, or they don't care about the exact pronunciation, just as long as they understand the meaning of the word - and so writing the details are not always necessary -

Regarding your two photos, for me, they look like two different handshapes - one has the finger more bent than the other - But I would still write them with the same symbol unless someone feels that it can be confused with another distinctly different hand symbolů