SW-L  December 2012

SW-L December 2012

Re: Towards Unicode Layout

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Dec 2012 08:23:23 -0800

December 7, 2012

Hello Martin, and welcome to the SignWriting List!

Thank you for joining this SignWriting List, which out of necessity, will be the only List that I focus on…

To explain to everyone…Martin is a member of another List, the "SignWriting in the Universal Character Set" List (SW in UCS List), which is a specialized List for those who are interested in placing the SignWriting Script into Unicode, which is also called the Universal Character Set (UCS).

For the past 2 years we have had discussions on the SW in UCS List, and I became increasingly scattered with too many projects…and then there is Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and well…you all know the feeling in today's multi-tasking technological world…I finally decided I need to focus on one List…so I invited all the members of the SW in UCS List to join our SignWriting List…Martin so far is the only one who has joined as far as I know…from the SW in UCS List...

So welcome Martin, and thank you for posting this message and your technical proposal related to encoding SignWriting in the future…

In an attempt to become organized (smile) I am going to go back to complete answering all the messages from the past few days, and then I will be back to respond to this message…

Thanks for joining our group!

There can be a lot of messages, about different topics related to SignWriting…Our List has over 200 members from 18 countries…at least last time I looked…and some are teachers of Deaf children, sign language researchers, sign language students, deaf school administrators, sign language linguists, anthropologists, and of course software developers…

SignSpellings are also discussed…how to write certain signs used to be a big topic, but we were talking about how the end result looked, to be read…that kind of spelling referred to what symbols were chosen in what formation to provide students with a good reading experience - that we call a SignSpelling…and the SignSpelling Sequence is what you mention below as "sort order"… most people do not think about any of these orders when writing…but the end result of how it looks when reading has been, to date, or focus with teachers and students...

Val ;-)

-------