SW-L  September 2013

SW-L September 2013

Re: SWIFT - SignWriting Editor

Stephen E Slevinski Jr <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Sep 2013 11:05:32 -0500

On 9/3/13 10:12 AM, Fabrizio Borgia wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> SWift is partially Flash based (we are gradually switching to
> HTML-JS), it was developed on Mac, but it works best with Firefox
> (best option) and Chrome.

Excellent.

> SWift and the other three programs use different ISWA, this is
> correct, but SWift has been built to SWitch from one ISWA to another
> without heavy conversion costs, in term of time. A bi-directional
> conversion is indeed possibile, but the script is to be done yet.

I am glad a conversion is possible.  Very useful.

> As for the cartesian coordinates - yes we use cartesian coordinates,
> do you mean for the glyph positioning (and of course during the sign
> save phase)? If so, yes, we use Cartesian coordinates.

Good to know.  Thanks.

> I am keen on adapting SWift to freely exchange data with your
> software, can you provide me with some details?

Currently, SignPuddle Online only exports data.  Each sign collection
(puddle) is available as an XML file, currently SPML v1.6.  I am
updating the SPML version to 3.0.  The documentation will start
appearing on SignPuddle.net soon.

The design of the individual signs is documented in
draft-slevinski-signwriting-text.  Currently version "01".
http://signpuddle.net/wiki/index.php/I-D_draft-slevinski-signwriting-text

I am currently working on a public API that will allow easier data
exchange to read and write SignPuddle data.

Nice to meet you Fabrizio.  I plan on attending Val's 2014 international
event as well.

Regards,
-Steve