SW-L  March 2014

SW-L March 2014

Re: PowerPoint presentation

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 29 Mar 2014 14:49:16 -0700

March 26, 2014

> On Mar 26, 2014, at 2:53 PM, Edi Strouhal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Mrs. Valerie!
>> I´m glad that you are happy with our work in Slovenia. In attach I post you our
>> PowerPoint presentation with some changes. I would like you upload it in
>> Slovenian page of your site. Thank you very much for your effort and good night! Edi.

----------

Hello Edi in Slovenia!
Thank you for sending us your PowerPoint Presentation. It is lovely.

I have posted it on your web page:

SignWriting in Slovenia
http://www.signwriting.org/slovenia

It is now Number 1 on that web page.

You may have to press the Reload or Refresh button on your web browser, to see the change.

By the way, did I ever tell you that there is another classroom using SignWriting in Slovenia? Have you been in touch with the teacher?

They contacted us in 2012 and received a donation of SignWriting books as a part of the SignWriting Literacy Project… This was communicated on the SignWriting List. I have posted the message below…I hope you can contact each other with materials and feedback -

Val ;-)

SEE BELOW
MESSAGES FROM School for Deaf in Slovenia 2012

————

SignWriting List
January 12, 2012

Hello Dusan!
Thank you for this letter of intent. It is perfect and just what we needed. I will ship donated SignWriting books to you today, to get you started and to inspire your students and fellow teachers to think about writing Slovenian Sign Language, as an educational tool.

Thank you again for this letter below - I will tell you when the books are shipped, and I also want to give you information about other schools in countries near you, that use SignWriting too…Perhaps you can communicate with other teachers, or even visit their classrooms, in Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic.

Val ;-)

------

13.1.2012, Ljubljana

FROM:
Dušan Dvorščak
Zavod za gluhe in naglušne Ljubljana
Vojkova 74, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

TO:
Valerie Sutton
SignWriting Literacy Project
Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting

Dear Valerie,
The teachers of the first five grade, at the secondary School, in the city of Ljubjana would like to participate in your SignWriting Literacy Project. We are part of the regular/public School District, in the state and country of Slovenia (or explain you are a private tutor or teacher).

Some information about our signing students and/or our classroom and/or our school

We educate children from the time of diagnosis until they have completed their studies at our secondary school. The main philosophy of school is the optimal development of the child’s abilities in all areas, with special emphasis on the development of language (the Slovene language and the Slovenian Sign Language), communication, hearing and speech. We are aware of the fact that language is essential for the comprehensive development of the child, therefore our primary goal is the development of the child’s language skills. This means that the education of the Deaf is supported by the Slovenian Sign Language and the Slovene language.The hard-of-hearing children and the children with cochlear implants are educated in the Slovene language with the emphasis on individual speech therapy and hearing training; the speech- and languageimpaired children are educated with emphasis on speech and language development. Our main principle is holistic approach, team approach to education, training and rehabilitation, and working with the parents. We employ both hearing and Deaf teachers. In the last years we have paid a lot of attention to the development of the education of children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

We are the only secondary school for the Deaf, hard-of-hearing and speech- and language-impaired students in Slovenia. In lower and middle vocational education, middle technical and vocational-technical education, the students can choose from graphics, wood technology, mechanical technology, textile technology, and information and media technology programmes. The duration of schooling is extended and the methods of work are modified. The co-ordinated theoretical and practical courses, the modular structure of the programmes, and the collaboration with employers and industry enable easier transition between various programmes, a better quality of work and better practical skills training for the alumni. The classes are small (up to 10 students). In addition to the core programme, the students can take part in various extra-curricular activities (sports, film production,

Information Technology, drama, poetry of the Deaf etc.). The students complete their education by passing the final exam or the vocational baccalaureate exam.

In addition to regular education programmes we also deliver an adult education programme for the Deaf and hard-of-hearing. The Slovenian Sign Language is the language used by the majority of the Deaf in Slovenia for mutual communication. It has its grammar, vocabulary and is completely equal to other languages. At the Ljubljana School for the Deaf the Slovenian Sign Language is an integral part of the curriculum in primary school, in secondary school and in the pre-school unit. Since 1990 we have been organising courses in the Slovenian Sign Language (Levels 1 to 6). The courses are attended by the parents of deaf children, teachers from schools and kindergartens, students and others who wish to learn the Slovenian Sign Language.

We would like to introduce SignWriting to our students. We are interested in learning and using SignWriting because of the new and important dimension in the Deaf culture. We have approximately 10-15 of students who will be participating in the Literacy Project.

We agree to complete the Teacher's Report in return for the SignWriting materials and technical support you donate to us. We understand that this letter and all reports and communications about the use of the donated materials will become public information and will be posted to the SignWriting List and posted on the SignWriting Web Site. You have our full permission to use the information as needed, regarding the SignWriting materials you have donated to us. We will give you feedback on how to improve the materials, and how the students and teachers use them.

Please send SignWriting materials for 3 of teachers and 15 of students.

Thank you for considering us for your project.

Sincerely,

Dušan Dvorščak

Name
Dušan Dvorščak, Zavod za gluhe in naglušne Ljubljana (ZGNL)

Jasna Lesar, ZGNL

Aleš Zavrl, ZGNL

Name of School

Zavod za gluhe in naglušne Ljubljana (School for Deaf Ljubljana)

Vojkova 74

1000 Ljubljana

SI - Slovenia