SW-L  August 2014

SW-L August 2014

Re: AW: Ordering Signs in Dictionaries

Adam Frost <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:47:26 -0700

Oh, I agree that a good strong dictionary should have the most common used directional verb like the relations between "you and me”. I guess I never said that directly in my email. However, if the dictionary is just a basic vocabulary dictionary, that is when I wouldn’t put them in. So I guess it is just a matter of what type of dictionary you are making as to whether or not the directional verbs would be placed in it.

Having said that, I still feel that saying that sorting should work so that all of the same types of directional verbs would be together isn’t realistic because there are more than one kind of directional verbs in a given sign language that work in different ways. Much like affixes in English aren’t always near each other in dictionaries for the same reason.

Some directional verbs are different by location, where others are different by movement. Then you have those that are different by handshapes. If your first sorting is based on location, then the directional verbs different by location will not be near each other. If your first sorting is based on handshapes, which is what I normally do, then those directional verbs different by handshapes will not be near each other. The directional verbs different by location and movement, however, would be closer to each other. In fact, they would probably be right next to each other. I hope that this makes sense.

Adam