SW-L  November 2014

SW-L November 2014

Re: SignWriting users in the world

James Shepard-Kegl <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Nov 2014 22:13:13 +0000

Fabrizio et al,

I have been developing powerpoint lecture presentations for educators/teachers/interpreters that step by step explain the grammatical and syntactic principles of a signed language (Nicaraguan Sign Language in my case but a spatial verb is a spatial verb in any signed language, role shifting means role shifting, and classifiers are classifiers, even if the handshapes vary slightly from language to language.)

These lectures depend heavily upon SW -- really, I use SW in virtually every frame (just as we did in the youtube video).

These workshop presentations serve two functions:  convince participants that Nicaraguan Sign Language really is a sophisticated rule governed language (because we dissect it under a magnifying lens) and highlight the practical need to learn to read the language.

Our first workshop using this material will be in December.  I hope I can keep attendees engaged.

-- James