SW-L  January 2017

SW-L January 2017

Re: January 2017 - Report from Steve's desk

Stephen Slevinski <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Jan 2017 15:59:56 -0600

On 1/13/17 11:38 AM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
>     The work you are doing with the Universal Shaping Engine looks
> very interesting, to be able to have Signwriting signs clustered
> properly and sign text flow outside of the browser in most of the
> major operating systems.

Hi Jonathan,

I recently found out that LibreOffice now supports vertical writing
mode. So many possibilities.

>     I have a question if in the meantime the SignWriting 2010 and
> sw10.js will it be completely replaced by Sutton SignWriting and
> SuttonSignWriting.js.

Sutton SignWriting completely replaces SignWriting 2010.  For the
JavaScript library, simply replace the function prefix of "sw10" with
"ssw".  The change was mainly for name recognition.  "Sutton
SignWriting" is much more meaningful and recognizable that "SignWriting
2010".

>     Are you planning on replacing it in SignMaker2015? What plans do
> you have for SignMaker 2015?

I should probably update SignMaker to use the Sutton SignWriting library
and fonts, but the changes wouldn't really improve SignMaker so I
haven't spent the time to package new releases yet.  I've been using the
codebase of SignMaker in the new SignText.  The future plans for
SignMaker will depend on the completeness of SignText and the  results
with the new font development and Unicode.

> Wish you the best with your projects.

You as well.

-Steve