SW-L  January 2018

SW-L January 2018

Formal SignWriting in ASCII (FSW) is 6 years old.

Stephen Slevinski <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:42:33 -0600

Hi SignWriting List,

6 years ago today, I published the specification of Formal SignWriting
in ASCII (FSW).  Since the initial release, the characters have remained
the same.  Sign language written in FSW is safely encoded in a stable
standard that will be readable in 100 years from now.

To celebrate 6 years of FSW, I created a presentation about why I
created Formal SignWriting and about the organizing principles around
the design.

First, I believe in real literacy and that means reading and writing.
Literacy should be learned in a person's primary language as well as any
secondary languages.  FSW makes it possible to write and share sign
language in ways that are impossible with video.

Second, I believe in the utility of formal structures such as formal
conventions, formal order, freeform construction, and formal languages.
These structures make it possible to write si