SW-L  April 2020

SW-L April 2020

[SPAM] Re: The first episode of the SignWriting Stream

Jonathan Duncan <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Apr 2020 13:13:56 -0600

Hi Steve,.

     Thanks for your live stream today.

     I was wondering if when you switch the SignPuddle 2.0 server and
that it will only export and not be the main source of data, will export
continue getting changes from the main sources of information on
SignPuddle 3.0?  Or only old information.  Will there be a delay? Does
this also mean that it won't be possible to add or update signs in
SignPuddle 2.0?

     Nice to see that we have a convert function in the core package for
going between the character encodings.  What are all the encodings that
are supported?  Do you have KSW?  It would be good to have for backward
compatibility, especially sending a sign programmatically to SignPuddle 2.0.

     Will SignPuddle 3.0 export JSON of the puddles?  What schema do you
have?  Are you still accepting input on the schema or is it already
pretty decided how it will be? I am willing to look it over and give
feedback.

     Thanks for explaining what the core library can do.  It looks
good.  It's nice that you have the parse function that return JavaScript
objects, which will make it a lot easier for other programmers to work
with SignWriting.

     When I wrote QuickSignEditor, I wrote it in ELM which compiles down
to JavaScript. I tried using the older Javascript API, but due to that
language's implementation,  it was hard to use it. Also, I would've
liked access to smaller functions that weren't exported on the API like
for example converting a symbol to the Font's character code.  This is
because QuickSignEditor is a sign editor and I needed a lot more
low-level interaction than the API allowed. Converting to FSW all the
time to go between my program and the library seemed to be a bit more
computationally intensive that I wanted. So I ended up re-implementing a
lot of that API directly in my ELM program.

Of course,  we don't want to over-complicate the API for other
programmers but maybe you could have a Utils object on the Core library
with other smaller less used functions if we want to create our own view
instead of using the ssw.svg output for example.  On the other hand, the
older Javascript API seems to work well with documents and I am using it
in SWSignwriter.  Thank you for those libraries and fonts.

I enjoyed the technical details.  If I was just starting out I would've
learned a lot and made any new project with SignWriting a lot easier.
This will be good for anybody wanting to start a SignWriting project.

I am more interested in the technical details.  Once and a while when
you show off the websites and programs we have, that will be interesting
too.

Or if Val wants to be interviewed as to the history of why some things
are a certain way now.  I know sometimes not know why things are a
certain way can be perplexing especially if we have an idea that we
think would be better. Talking to Val has helped me understand some of
these, particularly around the symbols.  I know everything may not be
exactly the way she would've liked them to be, but due to time,
economics and energy constraints, we are privileged to have what we do.
Understanding this makes it easier to overlook some of the smaller
pitfalls and be grateful for all the works of love you and her have put
into the ISWA and fonts since then.

The mind maps are good I liked those.

I have one other suggestion about the stream.  It could be a bit
shorter. I know making YouTube videos takes a lot of time and effort
besides the time you are filming.  And a shorter video is also easier to
fit into anybody's schedule than a longer one and also easier to find if
we are looking for that specific topic.  I think anywhere between 7min
to 20min would be great.  Time will tell if doing a live stream is
valuable for your audience or not, or just have videos.  I don't think I
would personally be able to watch them live but will watch them all when
I have a moment.

Thanks for your great work

Jonathan