SW-L  April 2020

SW-L April 2020

Re: Re: The first episode of the SignWriting Stream

Stephen Slevinski <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:21:57 -0500

Hi Jonathan,

On 4/13/20 2:13 PM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> Hi Steve,.
>
>     Thanks for your live stream today.

Thanks for watching and for your work with SignWriting!

>     I was wondering if when you switch the SignPuddle 2.0 server ...
> will [the SPML] export continue getting changes
The SPML export will be generated daily or upon request.  The SPML link
will include two parameters, a timestamp to check for updates and a
force rewrite flag to recreate the SPML file.  I will try to break as
little as possible in the move and I will keep you posted.

>     Nice to see that we have a convert function in the core package
> for going between the character encodings.
Yes, I hope you like the new core package.  Next steam I will cover
three modules in the core package: fsw, swu, and convert.

> What are all the encodings that are supported?  Do you have KSW?  It
> would be good to have for backward compatibility, especially sending a
> sign programmatically to SignPuddle 2.0.
I do not support KSW in the new core package.  I will fix this when I
open source SignPuddle 2 later this year.  SignPuddle 2 is going to use
SWU on the inside, with FSW accepted as input.  Would you want SWU in
the SPML or stick with FSW?

>     Will SignPuddle 3.0 export JSON of the puddles?  What schema do
> you have?  Are you still accepting input on the schema or is it
> already pretty decided how it will be? I am willing to look it over
> and give feedback.

Yes, JSON data is the future.  I do not have a schema. I will keep you
posted on the stream where you can take a look and give feedback.  Feel
free to drop by the gitter chat and drop links, ideas or concerns. An
open conversation for developers will work better.

> Thanks for explaining what the core library can do.  It looks good.
> It's nice that you have the parse function that return JavaScript
> objects, which will make it a lot easier for other programmers to work
> with SignWriting.
I'm glad you like the core library.  I think it really came together
nicely.  The various modules within the core follow a consistent pattern
of regular expressions, parse, and compose.  These functions are really
nice to work with and they are efficient.  My previous js library in the
Sutton SignWriting project (ssw.js) is powerful but inefficient.

> I enjoyed the technical details.  If I was just starting out I
> would've learned a lot and made any new project with SignWriting a lot
> easier. This will be good for anybody wanting to start a SignWriting
> project.

Wow.  Thanks for the compliment.  I hope to use the stream for exactly
that purpose.

> I am more interested in the technical details.
Excellent.  Next stream, we dive into the core with part one: fsw, swu,
and convert.

>   Once and a while when you show off the websites and programs we
> have, that will be interesting too.
Okay.  I would like to show off websites related to the topic.  The
stream will show you how those websites fit together.

> Or if Val wants to be interviewed as to the history of why some things
> are a certain way now.
We have talked about this.  I think next week we will record a special
stream where Valerie and I discuss SignWriting.

>   I know sometimes not know why things are a certain way can be
> perplexing especially if we have an idea that we think would be
> better. Talking to Val has helped me understand some of these,
> particularly around the symbols.  I know everything may not be exactly
> the way she would've liked them to be, but due to time, economics and
> energy constraints, we are privileged to have what we do.
> Understanding this makes it easier to overlook some of the smaller
> pitfalls and be grateful for all the works of love you and her have
> put into the ISWA and fonts since then.
Yes, a labor of love.  I am thankful for what we have today and look
towards a better future.  I am impatient and wish that future was now.
One step at at time.  We'll get there together.

> The mind maps are good I liked those.
Good.  I like them too.  If you can understand the mind map, you have a
general grasp of the topic.

> I have one other suggestion about the stream.  It could be a bit shorter.
Excellent suggestion.  The first episode was a rambling show because I
have so much I want to share.  Next time I will be shorter and more
focused.  Rather than one stream a weekend, I may do several. Next Saturday:
SS 01-002 @sutton-signwriting/core part 1
SS 01-003 Chat with Val and Steve

Eventually, I should have enough content to make subject related playlists.

> Thanks for your great work
>
> Jonathan

You too Jonathan!
-Steve