SW-L  November 2021

SW-L November 2021

Re: SignWriting support for Deaf-Blind?

Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Nov 2021 09:25:52 -0800

November 11, 2021

Hello Alex and SignWriting List!

Thank you for this message, Alex. Thank you for telling others about SignWriting. And thank you for pointing out to us, that you do not use sign language yourself. You are an amazing person and I admire all you are doing ;-)

SignWriting is a way to write sign language, so it is only useful for those who use sign language, or who are researching sign languages.

But we have already worked with, and continue to collaborate with, Deaf-Blind people, who have advised us, and who know and use sign language. In some cases, SignWriting is used, written in yellow, or orange, or white, on a black background, which helps some with sight impairments on computers. For example, Steve Slevinski, the developer of SignPuddle, worked with Andre Thibeault in Quebec, to make this possible. Thank you to you both!

SignWriting in Quebec for French-Canadian Sign Language (LSQ)
https://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index1.html#sgn-CA-fr

So Alex -
I have followed this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjO3SydTvoM

 Thank you for sharing with us from beautiful Brazil!

Val ;-)

_____________

> On Nov 11, 2021, at 8:00 AM, Alex Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hello Valerie and SignWriting List!!!

Thank you so much for your welcoming words!

I appreciate all kinds of communication so, I believe it is very important that SignWriting could be much more known!

I'll collaborate with this and share information about SignWriting!

Please, attention to the following issues:

I am a deafblind person. However, I do not use Sign language! No! My receptive communication is performed by "Palm writing" and my expressive communication happens through speaking.

I use some technology to communicate, too.

So far, I'm going on!

Please access the following video from The United Nations and in minute 1 you can see me and Denise. Please see what Denise is going to do on my palm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjO3SydTvoM

Well, I am 45 years old and in the following link you can read my profile and some thoughts.

This year, I have been developing simple work. I wrote a poem and I am trying to get this translated to the biggest number of languages possible. I am doing well. I got the support of 14 countries and 14 people who translated my poem.

My goal is to have the poem in many languages and then use it to show to the world that deafblind people live in many areas of the world.

We, deafblind people, are still invisible!

Best regards and we'll keep in touch!

Alex Garcia -- Profile clik here!

My poem clik here: Dreams of a Deafblind Person

Please access the attachment: Poem - Versions!