Our college had a similiar situation.  I  recommend that you contact your program officer and provide a plan on the use of these funds.  Be sure that you relate the funds to the objectives of the new year.  You may not need the program officer's permission, but communicating your financial situation with them and seeking their input would probably benefit your grant.  Our program officer was very helpful when I contacted her about $40,000 in leftover funds.

Preston Haddan
Title III Project Director
Frank Phillips College
P.O. Box 5118
Borger, TX  79008
806-274-5311, Ext. 733

"Shub, Helen" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with funds that are left over from a previous year?  We have a large sum of money that we did not spend from our first year, mainly because it took us a long time to fill the Title III positions.  The College does not “draw down” the money until it actually spends it, so there is about $150,000 that is just sitting out there somewhere.  Does anyone know if I have to formally alert the DOE that this money was not used and that we need it be rolled over or can I just assume that will happen and use it this year to purchase things related to the grant objectives?  Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Helen Shub

Title III Project Director/

Director, Institute for Student Success

Palm BeachCommunity College