________________________________

From: US Department of Education Title III List Server
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hindes,
Victoria
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 10:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: unspent funds

Helen,
Re: your Title III question, you already received some excellent
email below that seems very important.  You stated that your college
does not draw down the money until it is actually spent.  While
institutions have different procedures for how they draw down, it is
important that you don't have a large balance. I don't know the size of
your award, so I don't know if your $150,000 unspent for the year is
large or not.  You might want to tell your college Business/Fiscal
Office that it is allowed to drawn down funds prior to actual invoices
being received. If you have a large balance (showing that your college
has not drawn down funds), you might get a call from your project
officer or from someone from the Dept of Educ. asking you about this.
The call is not punitive, but meant to be a heads up and to find out if
there's a problem.  They do periodically monitor the gaps system.  One
of the things they have told us time and again during the project
director's meeting is that you should not draw down more than 50% during
the first six months of each year, but you also don't want to be under
drawn.  The Admin Payment System will carry over funds from one budget
year to the next automatically. The Expanded Authority Part 75 of the
General Administrative Regulations (EDGAR) gives you authority to
carryover unexpended funds without prior approval for any allowable cost
within the approved project scope. This means: To complete/finish
uncompleted activities or to conduct new activities within the scope.
While ED is more flexible now especially for new awardees, if you
haven't already, you should contact your program officer if your carry
over is a result of activities that are not completed--let's say 7
months behind.  Also, if you are not sure if the new activities are
within the scope of your grant, you should ask.  Finally, ask your
program officer if he or she has a Q & A handout.  During the first year
of our grant, my project officer provided me with a Q & A handout as a
handy reference.  It's a valuable resource that I use all the time.
Take care and best wishes,
Victoria A. Hindes, Ed.D.
Director of Research & Grants
Title III Director