I don't have an electronic version of the Q & A (it was sent to me in
the regular mail).  It is quite detailed and several pages long. It
would take a little time to retype, but I would be happy to send you a
hard copy if you give me your mailing address.


-----Original Message-----
From: Ball, Kristen [mailto:[log in to unmask]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 6:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: unspent funds


Could you post a copy of that Q & A for the list?  That would be
interesting to see.


Kris Ball

Dodge City Community College



From: US Department of Education Title III List Server
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hindes,
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 10:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: unspent funds



Re: your Title III question, you already received some excellent
responses from others, but I did want to comment on one aspect of your
email below that seems very important.  You stated that your college
does not draw down the money until it is actually spent.  While
institutions have different procedures for how they draw down, it is
important that you don't have a large balance. I don't know the size of
your award, so I don't know if your $150,000 unspent for the year is
large or not.  You might want to tell your college Business/Fiscal
Office that it is allowed to drawn down funds prior to actual invoices
being received. If you have a large balance (showing that your college
has not drawn down funds), you might get a call from your project
officer or from someone from the Dept of Educ. asking you about this.
The call is not punitive, but meant to be a heads up and to find out if
there's a problem.  They do periodically monitor the gaps system.  One
of the things they have told us time and again during the project
director's meeting is that you should not draw down more than 50% during
the first six months of each year, but you also don't want to be under
drawn.  The Admin Payment System will carry over funds from one budget
year to the next automatically. The Expanded Authority Part 75 of the
General Administrative Regulations (EDGAR) gives you authority to
carryover unexpended funds without prior approval for any allowable cost
within the approved project scope. This means: To complete/finish
uncompleted activities or to conduct new activities within the scope.
While ED is more flexible now especially for new awardees, if you
haven't already, you should contact your program officer if your carry
over is a result of activities that are not completed--let's say 7
months behind.  Also, if you are not sure if the new activities are
within the scope of your grant, you should ask.  Finally, ask your
program officer if he or she has a Q & A handout.  During the first year
of our grant, my project officer provided me with a Q & A handout as a
handy reference.  It's a valuable resource that I use all the time.  

Take care and best wishes, 

Victoria A. Hindes, Ed.D.

Director of Research & Grants

Title III Director

Shasta College

Redding, CA 96049-6006


-----Original Message-----
From: Shub, Helen [mailto:[log in to unmask]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 9:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: unspent funds


Does anyone have any experience with funds that are left over from a
previous year?  We have a large sum of money that we did not spend from
our first year, mainly because it took us a long time to fill the Title
III positions.  The College does not "draw down" the money until it
actually spends it, so there is about $150,000 that is just sitting out
there somewhere.  Does anyone know if I have to formally alert the DOE
that this money was not used and that we need it be rolled over or can I
just assume that will happen and use it this year to purchase things
related to the grant objectives?  Any help on this is greatly


Helen Shub

Title III <>  Project Director/

Director, Institute for Student Success

Palm Beach Community College

4200 Congress Avenue

Lake Worth, FL 33461

(561) 868-3277

[log in to unmask]