  From: McLain, Cindy
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 9:59 AM
  Subject: Matching Funds

  We are interested in knowing what other Title III programs are doing with their institutional match.  Do you keep track of the match separately as part of your general ledger transactions by having separate accounts?  Or do you look at your applicable expenditures in the general ledger and just do a straight percentage of the applicable expenditures according to your match percentage?

  For example, our Director of Finance does help somewhat with the grant, perhaps 3% of his total time.  Do we have to document every item he has to do with the grant and code the 3% of his salary to a separate account?  Or can we just take 3% of his total salary and put that into the district match?

  We haven't received a definite answer on which way is preferred by the DOE to track the match, and were wondering what other programs were implementing.

  Also, at year-end, what will they want to see from the financial side of the program?  Copies of invoices, detail of the ledgers, copies of checks, drawdown documentation, etc.?

  Cindy McLain

  Title III Program Coordinator

  Iowa Valley Community College District

  3700 S. Center Street