On 10/05/2010 3:22 PM, MARIA AZZOPARDI wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Dear Jonathan,
I've been trying to use your program - but I'm finding it a little
difficult so I was wondering if you could explain a few things beforehand.
I think most people (including myself) don't really know what this program
is used for (or apologies if you have already explained, i can't seem to
locate your older emails) - could you give us all a brief introduction.

I would love to explain it.
    SignWriter Studio has a lot in common with Puddle but has several differences.

Comparison SignWriter Studio and SignPuddle

Feature SignWriter Studio SignPuddle
User Interface English so far
Multilingual and SignLanguage
ISWA ISWA 2008 will soon be upgraded to ISWA 2010 ISWA 2010
Print list of signs Yes No
Terms/Gloss Yes, 1 principal and unlimited secondary glosses in one or more languages
12 terms
Copy Paste symbols Yes No
Favorite Symbols Fully customizable list of favorite symbols No
Find Hand Symbol by characteristics Yes No
Find Symbol in list of base symbols Find the group for any symbol in a sign No
Symbol Selection Specialized choosers for rapid selection Palettes of base groups and groups
Writing with use of keyboard Yes No
Copy image of Sign Yes No (SWIS can export zip file of images in a document)
Copy Paste sign Yes No
Document saved to file/can be emailed Yes No, unless exported to another format, can email with SignMail
Documents Yes, Can include pictures within document SignText
Export SBML, SignText SBML, SignText, BSW, SWML
Gloss to Sign Yes, can change gloss to search without losing selections Yes
Import SBML, SignText SBML, SignText, BSW, SWML
Include Picture with Sign Yes No
Include Video with Sign or Document No Yes
Print Document Yes Export to PDF for printing
Sign Column No Yes
Please let me know anybody if I got any of it wrong for SignPuddle.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
My main question is this: is it linked in any way to Puddle. Most of us i
believe use Puddle so much nowadays- can files from Puddle be transported
to your program? And if so how?
    One way is using SBML file from the puddle.  I was going to put an example together but I had a hard time getting a SBML for any one document in the US literature puddle.  I will have to ask Steve how to do that.
    The other way is from the SignText string.  The format of the string changed sincce the last time I tried it so I had to make some minor modifications to my program.  You will need to download the latest version.  First open the document in SignPuddle you want to move to SignWriter Studio.  Then mail it to yourself in with SignMail.  When you get the message right click on the link at the bottom that says Load message into SignText and chose Copy link location.
    Now open SignWriter Studio.  Open a new document.  From the Document menu choose Import.  Paste the SignText in the box.  Click on Import SignText.

To move a document back to SignPuddle. From the Document menu, select Export.  Click on Export SignText.  Select and copy the text from the SignText box.  Paste your browser.  It will open in the last puddle you accessed.

There may be some discrepancies between the symbols in the two because my program is using ISWA 2008 and the SignPuddle is ISWA 2010.  I am working on updating my program to ISWA 2010.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
What I'm the lookout for is a program
where I can organize the work done in Puddle for printing - that is,
organizing columns easily into a template - something a little like the
DocumentMaker but with less restrictions when it comes to longer documents
- does your program provide for this?

My program can do reflow on the screen and for printing documents.  But if you want to reflow while adding page numbers, titles in Roman alphabet etc. My program doesn't handle that yet.  I hope to add a feature like that to it in the next version.  Do you have a few pages that you have already made that could show me what kind of layout or template you are looking for?

Jonathan
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Thanks your help,
maria

Thanks to all of you who helped me fix this bug.
The new version is downloadable from Download SignWriter Studio Beta 4.2
<http://www.signwriterstudio.com/download.htm>

Please find more bugs :-)

Jonathan