On 14/05/2010 7:57 AM, Steve Slevinski wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Hi Jonathan,

Import / Export needs revamped.  I am working on SPML (SignPuddle Markup Language) which will cover all of the information available in SignPuddle.  Perhaps you can review and comment when I have it ready.
I'm looking forward to it.  Let me know when it is ready.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
SignMail...  Needs an update.  I may add it to SWIS.

BSW will be the standard for SignWriting data.  SPML will use BSW hex data rather than BSWML or the build string.
What is BSWML ?  Binary Sign Writing in XML?  Will SPML use BSW in converted to it's hex string value instead of the raw binary value? Or maybe my question should be will the SPML be a text file or a binary file? I am assuming on the former as xml doesn't directly support binary formats.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Implementing BSW shouldn't be too hard.  SWIS contains 2 separate working implementations; one in PHP and another in JavaScript.  As long as you can understand regular expressions, it should be relatively easy.

Keep up the good work on the Studio.  Sorry to force updates with the standards.  The ISWA 2010 is really worth it and it will be stable for a long time to come.  BSW is really superior to the other formats and it is UTF-8 compatible.
I was all happy to upgrade to ISWA 2010 until I remembered last time I had to upgrade from IMWA to ISWA 2008.  I'll basically have to recreate my database tables with the new symbols.  I also had the hand symbols categorized by feature, which I had to review anyways.  Good thing that ISWA 2010 is frozen for a decade.  This will permit us to focus more on the interfaces and less on the upgrading symbols every so often.  I don't have a lot of SignWriting data yet so I won't have any conversion issues.
    When do you plan on changing the Puddle to ISWA 2010?
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Here's a truncated BSW primer...

Each character of BSW can be represented by a single ASCII token:
# B = SignBox Marker
# L = Left Lane SignBox Marker
# R = Right Lane SignBox Marker
# h = Hand Symbol
# m = Movement Symbol
# d = Dynamic Symbol
# 1 = Head Symbol
# 2 = Trunk Symbol
# 3 = Limb Symbol
# n = Number Character
# Q = Sequence Marker
# s = Sequence Symbol
# P = Punctuation Symbol

An entire sign text can be validated with a single regular expression:
([LBR]([hmd123]nn)*(Q[hmd123s]+)?|P)+

We can even evaluate a SignSpelling Sequence to determine if it is regular. Q[h*(md)*]+[123s]*
Good work.  Thank you for explaining it.  I just understood why the you used the tokens.  I wish I had thought of that!!! Good work!
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
A regular SignSpelling Sequence is espoused by Val as described in the SignSpelling Guidelines PDF.  A regular SignSpelling Sequence places all of the location markers after the hands and movement.  Charles advocates an irregular spelling where location is mixed with the hand shapes.  Time will tell which is better, but we have a simple check to determine if it is regular or irregular.

Regards,
-Steve

--

Jonathan Duncan