SignWriting List
May 25, 2010

On May 25, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Dali balti wrote:
- what is the difference between "v", "v v", and "w"????
- what is also the difference between the above and when they are doubled one on the other?????

Hello Dali!
I believe you are talking about Finger Movement Symbols, the Hinge and the Trill. See attached diagrams below.

The Hinge, the V you mention, means that the finger moves from the knuckle joint, while the middle joint remains locked...the middle joint does not stays in the same position...while the whole finger moves up and down from the knuckle joint.

Instruction pages to go to:

1. Finger Movement

2. Hinge Movement

3. Trill Movement (also called Alternating Finger Movement)

4. Download the SignWriting Basics Manual on the web
number 3 on this web page:
The finger movement instruction starts on page 32 of the SignWriting Basics Manual.

To summarize for you here....

A single Hinge (single V) means one time closing the finger from the knuckle joint.

A double Hinge (VV) means closing the finger twice - close-close - the emphasis is on the close...

A double Hinge that is connected, which you called a W, means that the finger opens and closes up and down from the knuckle, or open-close-open...all directions are equal in importance...there is no emphasis on either direction...they are equal in importance

The Trill, with the one V on top of the other, means that the fingers alternate...while one closes the other one opens...a finger trill...or alternating hinges is another way to describe them...

Please see are the symbols in the International SignWriting Alphabet (ISWA)