Cool, the sign for "rapier" is very clear.  I believe the ASL sign is from a fencing scar.

Charles

From: Adam Frost <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, May 26, 2010 9:28:08 PM
Subject: Sign Name For de l'Épée

I am putting together an article on Abbé Charles-Michel de l'Épée from the work of Charles Butler and Lucinda O'Grady Batch. I had an professor who showed me de l'Épée's name sign as it is signed in France. I am hoping that this is readable to someone who has never seen his name sign before.

I also added the sign for his birthplace, Versailles, into the article, but I think that most people will be able to read that one as it is very simple. :-) And I know that my professor showed me the sign for Truffault (where the school for the deaf is), but I can't remember it. I will have to look that one up in my notes. Or just get ahold of my professor again somehow. :-)

Adam