I think the touch in-between is better for the feel.  It's not a grip, but the touch of the two fingers of one hand is between the touch of the two fingers of the other hand.  If the hands were transparent, one could show the circle as a loop, but the closest is "something" in between, and as it is not a grip, touch is the closest thing.  Showing breaking chains would need a touch between to show the position of the hands, and that is a touch before breaking.

Charles

From: Stefan Wöhrmann <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, May 30, 2010 9:57:53 AM
Subject: spelling question F-hands like in "Deaflympics"

Hi Valerie and sw-list friends,

attached you find a foto of two F-hands – some signs need this orientation ... for years I wrote the sign with the grip symbol with the “in between” lines to the left and right.

Today I thought differently. Thumb and index touch each other – but there is obviously no grip. – and the touch in between  seems not appropriate either.

Any idea ? Comments?

Thank you

Stefan ;-)