Lets see if this message goes through now.  Test message.

________________________________
From: Adam Frost <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, August 4, 2010 1:07:28 AM
Subject: Behind The Curtains of the ASL FrostVillage Blog

As I am sure that you may have notice, I am always doing something to make my
blog a little better. I want to thank everyone on their feedback about making it
a vertical theme or not. I haven't done anything with it yet, but I don't doubt
that it will be something that I will do. The main reason is that it will take a
bit of work to do it, but I don't have the time right now for it since I am also
working with Val to get a book done.

So what have I been doing behind the curtains of my blog with the little time I
do have? Well, you may or may not remember back in July 2009 I had made it so
that I had "everything" that wasn't in SignWriting would be converted to
fingerspelling. I put everything in quotes because there was still some things
that I just couldn't get so that it would work right since I was using images.
And there was no way that something typed in a comment box could be written in
fingerspelling as it is being typed. Then in Nov 2009 I took a large portion of
the converting into fingerspelling off because I had just posted about the death
of Larry Fleischer, which ended up having a lot of hits and eventually crashing
my hosting service because of the heavy load to handle all of those images. I
have since been hoping for the time when I could come back to that issue.

As I am sure you have guessed by now, I have come back to it. I came across some
information that said that I could embed fonts on my webpage if it was something
that I knew most people wouldn't have on their computer but was important to the
website. That brought me to the recollection of the fingerspelling fonts that
Michael Everson had created. I downloaded the font and placed it on my website,
placed the code to embed the font into the ASL FrostVillage Blog, and now all
text is in fingerspelling... even when typing in a text box! The only catch is
that IE and mobile phone (including iPhone and iPads) require a font format
other than TrueType (Embedded Open Type and Scalable Vector Graphics
receptively), so fingerspelling does not show up on them at this time since I
only have TrueType.

So if you would like to see this in action, go
to www.frostvillage.com/blog/lang/ase with Firefox. I am sure you could use
other browsers other than IE, but I have been using Firefox the most for my
programming so I know that my blog looks best on it. I should warn you that if
you aren't used to reading a lot of fingerspelling, don't trying reading
people's comments that have not been put in SignWriting. ;-)

Let me know what you think. And I would like to thank Michael Everson for the
work that he had done with the font to make it possible. This just means that we
are that much closer to having all of SignWriting being written as text rather
than using images. I find this very exciting. SMILE!

Adam