Print

Print


SignWriting List
September 22, 2010

Hello Adam!
Thanks for this great feedback, and please thank your friends around you at Gallaudet Univ for their feedback too...so Page Numbers should not be viewed as "counting", but instead are "names" or "labels" for pages...

How would you write just plain 100, 200, 300 and so forth...1-0-0 or 1C?

How would you write plain 1000, 2000, 3000?

How would you write 1001, 1018, 1162?

Val ;-)

--------


On Sep 22, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Adam Frost wrote:

> I have been curious about the views of others on the topic. I can see everyone's point because it depends on what you feel page numbers are. If you feel that pages are counted, then the use of C would be correct (or even the pulled back bend like X for 100). If you feel that the numbers are the names of the pages, then it is the representation of the individual numbers. I am just taking the stand point of how someone in a classroom would tell everyone what page to turn to in a book. So with the page 101 example, I almost always see 1-0-1 rather than 1-C-0-1. 
> 
> I was also asking some friends here, it seems that they feel that a page is a name rather than being counted. Also, when you look at pages numbered, you don't see it written out as one hundred one, which is what they (and I) feel that 1-C-0-1 would be more equivalent.
> 
> Just my take on it. ;-)
> 
> Adam
> 
> On Sep 22, 2010, at 11:19 AM, Valerie Sutton wrote:
> 
>> SignWriting List
>> September 21, 2010
>> 
>> Hello Kelly Jo and everyone!
>> I really appreciate your feedback...and hope others will also tell me how they feel...
>> 
>> ASL page numbers have really be a useful tool to start people reading SignWriting...everyone has to look down to find the page number, and when they do, they have the Arabic numeral on one side of the page, and the ASL page number on the other side of the page, and most ASL signers sit there and study the writing of the page numbers in ASL and don't even realize that they are getting reading experience from that...so it is one of many small ways to build reading skills in SignWriting...
>> 
>> But ASL page numbers are also different than when we are actually signing in sentences, because they need to be short and easy to glance at, to find what page you are on...
>> 
>> So for example, although I know ASL signers pull the hand back as you say, I wonder if for page numbers, that pull-back movement isn't too much detail? But if you are writing the number in the middle of an ASL sentence, then it would be a good idea to write the arrow pulling the hand back, to show accuracy...it is a question of how much detail we put into the writing of page numbers...
>> 
>> So I would love to see your writing of the page numbers in ASL in SignPuddle, Kelly Jo - thank you for offering this -
>> 
>> For right now, to explain - I already have numbers 1-181 in the ASL dictionary in SignPuddle, following the rather formal writing with the full C for 100 (the first example in the attached)....and now I considering adding two more alternatives for book designers to choose from...that way there are choices...
>> 
>> Which of the three feels best for you? (please see attached)
>> 
>> ... imagine telling someone in ASL that you live in hotel room 181...which writing would feel best? I wonder if the third one, although not detailed, isn't the way most people would sign HOTEL ROOM 181? just three numbers 1...8...1 in a row? because it is a label on a door, rather than a part of a sentence? think of this at the bottom of page very tiny...
>>