Charles,

It is great to look at our work and see from our perspective how we did or did not do.  But remember we are harder on ourselves than other most of the time. For me many times when I have felt as I really did not do a great job others have been blessed much more than I could have ever hope for.  So don’t be too hard on yourself but be prepared for the next time.

Be encouraged and don’t give up.

Paul

From: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charles Butler
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SignWorkshop OASLTA

Well, I presented the workshop but I felt that I fell on my face for the following reasons:

1) Too much information, too little time.

2) Lack of vocabulary, all of the attendees were interpreters AND teachers of the deaf, and my vocabulary was inadequate to the task.  I should have asked for help from KJ or another interpreter at the beginning.

3) I got positive responses from a couple of people, but the most common one was "how many people IN OHIO are using this system", "why should MY students have to learn anything else?"  Half of them maybe "got it" but the others just kept with questions.

4) I should have simply linked to the website and gone from there as the website is informative, answers most of the common questions, and I could have had a Deaf Advocate actually talking to the group.

Lessons learned, but I feel very small and inadequate right now.

Charles Butler